in ice rink venues
Tackling humidity-related problems
in ice rinks and winter sports venues
Ice rinks are built around a large ice surface that inevitably cools the building — and everything in it. When air from outside enters the structure, the moisture within that air condenses on any cold surfaces.
This results in:
- Condensation on cold pipes dripping/running down walls and onto floors
- Condensation dripping from the ceiling onto the ice surface, making it uneven and unsafe
- Corrosion and rot in structures and surfaces
- Growths of mold, mildew and bacteria
- Vapour that affects both visibility and safety
- Ice that covers advertisers’ and sponsors’ billboards
- Unpleasant conditions for spectators
The traditional answers are ventilation and heating.
Unfortunately, however, simple ventilation using outside air only brings more moisture into the building. And heating doesn’t do anything about the dew point of the air.
Humidity management is the only way to reduce the moisture content or the dew point of the air within the ice rink structure.
Cotes adsorption dehumidifiers are the most effective as well as the most energy-efficient way to bring the moisture content of the large volumes of air inside ice rink venues under full control — achieving more with less.
Because they use so little energy to provide such big moisture-removal effects, Cotes dehumidifiers are also the most economical to run.
big cost benefits
Effective humidity management paves the way to benefits that include:
- Focus on prevention rather than remedial action
- Lower operating, maintenance and repair costs
- Rapid return on investment
- Doing away with unnecessary heating equipment and heating costs
- Lower energy costs and reduced environmental impact
- Longer service life for key structures, equipment and fittings
- More pleasant indoor environment and greater visitor comfort
and the dewpoint
This film explains the relation between the relative humidity and dewpoint, and how you can manage this to get the results that suit you best.
The C65 range
Downloadable product brochures, case stories and booklets. Contact us if you need printed versions.